Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Preparing Natural Hair for Protective Styles


The colder months bring frigid temperatures which can bring on dry, brittle hair. Most naturals, including myself, opt for protective styles such as braids, weaves, wigs or  updos. I recently decided to rock my U-Part wig to protect my hair and give my hair some much needed rest. Here are a few tips on how I prepare my natural hair for protective styling.

First, I deep condition on Dry hair using Elasta QP's DPR conditioner, next I shampoo with my Creme of Nature Argan Oil Sulfate Free shampoo followed by my conditioner at the moment which is Garnier Fructis Nourish & Shine Conditioner. I towel dry and then apply my leave in, Creme of Nature Strength & Shine Leave in Conditioner, along with a heat protectant, Organix ever straight Brazilian keratin therapy flat iron spray. I section my hair into about 6-8 sections and then I blow-dry each section on cool to medium heat. When I finish each section, I apply the As I am Double Butter Cream and my oil mixture and then proceed with styling/preparing my hair! That's it!


Leave in Conditioner

Heat Protectant

Moisturizer


Oil Mixture


Andis Blow Dryer

When protective styling, it is very important that you take the time to moisturize properly to avoid knots and tangles. It is also imperative to make sure you moisturize and care for your hair in the protective style, especially when it comes to weaves and wigs.  What are some of your favorite protective styles and how do you prep your hair?

2 comments:

  1. Heeey girl,this Jenn....so i transition natural did not do the chop. I haven't straighten my hair since last April just weave and braids. .my scalp is so ichy and flaky...I grease it,is there a better shampoo too use...I use all of taliah waajid products

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer! Try using a good shampoo that is moisturizing, I personally like the Creme of Nature Argan Oil shampoo. I would also suggest using a light natural oil such as olive or jojoba oil as a hot treatment before you shampoo.

      Delete